After leaving about 9:00 PM on Wednesday, May 9, 2018, we arrived home again around 8:00 AM on Sunday May 13, 2018. The trip was a very good trip and everyone had a blast. We had the bus ride, where all the kids were very well behaved, some of the archers shot in the Centershoot, 3D Shoot and the regular flight as well. Then we also attended a Minor League Baseball Game, Go-Karts, Arcade, Laser Tag and even stopped by Bass Pro Shop before heading home again.
The following are the archers statistics for Nationals (only the bullseye, not the 3D stats), and we would like to say congratulations to all of the archers who qualified and great job. Elementary consists of the 4th & 5th graders.
- 272 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 62 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 13 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 1353 out of 6689
Allie Mitchel – Middle School
- 266 out of 300 points
- Middle School Girls Rank 788 out of 2644
- 8th Grade Girls Rank 339 out of 969
- Overall Girls Rank 2021 out of 6689
- 262 out of 300 points
- Elementary Boys Rank 304 out of 2014
- 5th Grade Boys Rank 233 out of 1229
- Overall Boys Rank 3116 out of 7450
- 261 out of 300 points
- Elementary Boys Rank 319 out of 2014
- 5th Grade Girls Rank 244 out of 1229
- Overall Boys Rank 3189 out of 7450
- 260 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 254 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 62 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 2895 out of 6689
- 243 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 656 out of 1652
- 5th Grade Girls Rank 469 out of 1003
- Overall Girls Rank 4628 out of 6689
- 237 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 783 out of 1652
- 5th Grade Girls Rank 553 out of 1003
- Overall Girls Rank 5041 out of 6689
- 231 out of 300 points
- Elementary Boys Rank 1195 out of 2014
- 5th Grade Girls Rank 791 out of 1229
- Overall Girls Rank 6051 out of 7450
- 229 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 977 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 308 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 5498 out of 6689
- 226 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 1046 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 342 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 5660 out of 6689
- 221 out of 300 points
- Elementary Boys Rank 1444 out of 2014
- 5th Grade Boys Rank 940 out of 1229
- Overall Boys Rank 6554 out of 7450
- 219 out of 300 points
- Elementary Boys Rank 1492 out of 2014
- 5th Grade Boys Rank 968 out of 1229
- Overall Boys Rank 6637 out of 7450
- 193 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 1449 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 539 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 6399 out of 6689
- 192 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 1462 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 546 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 6414 out of 6689
- 191 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 1469 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 551 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 6422 out of 6689
- 183 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 1518 out of 1652
- 4th Grade Girls Rank 578 out of 649
- Overall Girls Rank 6498 out of 6689
- 146 out of 300 points
- Elementary Girls Rank 1617 out of 1652
- 5th Grade Girls Rank 987 out of 1003
- Overall Girls Rank 6637 out of 6689
These archers are very young, and now that they have had a taste of going to Nationals, I expect them to come back next year fighting for more, and the higher grades have something to shoot for as well.
This was the end of our archery season this year, we will update this site with any updates we may have during the off season, and then of course we will keep it much more updated once archery starts again as well. Have a safe summer!
The archers all shot in the centershot on Friday afternoon, then their main tournaments yesterday. They all did well, couple beat their high score while others were very close to the high scores for them. They all had fun and were not too nervous, the coaches might have been more nervous for them.
After the tournament, most of us went to a baseball game. It was a first for many of us. At the start of the game about 7 at night, it was about 85 degrees and sunny still. It was a fun time. The sun went down during the game and then they had their Friday night fireworks. Then it was back to the hotel.
Today we are heading to Kart Country for some go cart racing, followed by stopping at bas pro shop.
Great job to all the archers on their shooting.
Earlier today we had a pepfest put on for our archers. It was really neat and thank you to Mesabi East for doing that.
We have loaded the buses and are now on our way to Kentucky. Left about 9:15 pm. Gonna be a long, but fun trip. Will try to post pictures and blogs during the trip as well.
Mesabi East has been a part of the NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program) since the 2011-2012
school year – with the help of our local Community Education Program & the Mesabi East School
District. Mesabi East is a part of Region 2 in northern Minnesota and during our main season we
primarily shoot against other schools in the region which include Mt. Iron-Buhl, Grand Rapids, Hill City,
Hibbing, Cook, Ely, Greenway and of course us over at Mesabi East.
NASP teaches students in grades 4-12 target style archery using Genesis bows that range from 11-20
pounds. Each student must use the same type of bow, and none of the bows are allowed to have sights
or any markings that might be used as sights. This makes it so the student must use their talent and skills
to figure out where to aim to get the best score he or she can get. One of the great things about archery
is virtually every student can shoot a bow. Archery can be a very calming sport for many kids and they
love seeing how they improve over the seasons that they shoot.
The Mesabi East Elementary Archery team (4th & 5th graders) placed 3rd place at our state competition
in Bemidji on the weekend of March 23-24, 2018. The top 3 teams qualify for Nationals, which is being
held in Louisville, Kentucky on the weekend of May 11-12th . We had 17 elementary students who shot at
state this year and 16 of these students will now be vying for their first shot at a National archery title.
These students have practiced very hard over the course of the year and have improved greatly.
The Elementary team had a great season this year and finished in the following positions at each of our
- Greenway – 2 nd out of 6
- Mesabi East (home) – 1st out of 4
- Hill City – 1 st out of 6
- Grand Rapids – 1 st out of 6
- Regions tournament (Cook) – 1 st out of 6
- State (Bemidji) – 3 rd out of 10
To have a team, there has to be at least 12 students from the specified grades that shoot. The top 12
scores are then calculated to find out the team score. The Mesabi East Elementary team who have
qualified for Nationals include (with their score at state): Kiera Saumer (274), Nevaeh Locken (260),
Owen Lalonde (258), Matias Honkola (257), Johanna Knapper (247), Addisyn Lesnau (243), Lillian
Bockelmann (230), Kylee Irgang (230) , Hayden Baxter (230), George Maish (224), Zade Baker (221), Lexi
Getty (218), Nicholas Boben (211), Olivia Larson (211), Colin Anderson (209), Koryn Shermer (167),
McKenzie Clement (160).
We also have 3 archers who individually qualified for Nationals, the top 10 individuals from each
category qualify for state.
- Allie Mitchell (an 8 th grader), who held first place the majority of the day finished in 6 th place out
of 287 Middle School Girls, 3 rd out of 96 8 th grade girls & 20 th out of 668 girls total. She shot a 283
(her new high score) out of a possible 300.
- Kiera Saumer (a 4th graders, qualified individually & as part of the elementary team) finished in
4th out of 144 in Elementary Schools Girls, 1st out of 66 4th grade girls and 87th out of 668 girls.
- David Reinke (a senior this year), qualified for the 3D shoot by finishing 7th out of 70 archers, 1st
out of 6 12th grade boys and 7th out of 181 total males.
With this qualification we have 18 students and 3 coaches who will be going to Louisville, Kentucky. We
will be leaving May 9th and coming home on May 13th . This trip will be our first trip as a team and will be
a very expensive trip. If you would like to help donate to our trip you are welcome to send donations to:
Please make sure all checks are made out to: M.E.A.B.C. Our Tax ID #45-4617207
M.E.A.B.C. (Directly to the archery program)
117 W 3 rd Ave N
Aurora, MN 55705
Tech Bytes (Will bring to the archery program)
410 Jones St
Eveleth, MN 55734
All of us coaches would like to wish our Elementary Team, Kiera Saumer, Allie Mitchell & David Reinke
good luck at Nationals and of course hope everyone has a great time! We also would like to thank
everyone who has helped in any way, shape or form to make the NASP program a success at Mesabi
East Archery. We hope to keep this program growing as it has for the last several years and hopefully
make more trips to Nationals in the near future.
Mesabi East Archery Booster Club
117 W. 3rd. Ave. N.
Aurora, MN 55705
Dear National Archery in the Schools Supporter
National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) teaches students in grades 4-12 target style archery. Mesabi East joined this program for the first time during the 2011-2012 season, with the help of our local Community Education Program and the Mesabi East School System. We participate in the Region 2 group. The majority of the schools that are currently competing in Region 2, on a local, regional, state and even national level, are primarily from the Iron Range Area and include, Mt. Iron-Buhl, Grand Rapids, Hill City, Hibbing, Cook, Ely and of course Mesabi East.
Generous donors like you are the key to our success and make it possible for the Mesabi East Booster Club, in addition to the above mentioned, to provide local students the continued opportunity of the NASP program. We hope that we can count on your support to help us not only continue this wonderful program and provide continued maintenance for our equipment, but help us to attain our future goal of going to Nationals one day as well.
Your donation will be greatly appreciated by not only our organization, but all of our Mesabi East archers as well. Please mail your donation to:
117 W. 3rd. Ave. N.
Aurora, MN 55705
We thank you for your time and consideration.
Mesabi East Booster Club, 117 W. 3rd. Ave. N., Aurora, MN 55705 (218) 750-4149